McIntosh Perry is growing to meet demand – and we need you! As a growing multi-disciplinary engineering and related professional services firm, we are building on our strong National reputation by maintaining our commitment to ethical work practices, a quality product and exceptional service. With more than 600 employees in offices across Canada, McIntosh Perry is expanding its scope and looking for new talent to join our supportive, dynamic team. Our core values validate everything we have believed in since our company started:
Walk a mile in someone else’s shoes - Treat others as they would like to be treated
Make Momma proud - Do the right thing
Every McIntosh has a core - Be a leader
Pass. Shoot. Score. - Becoming excellent together
Did you dot the i’s and cross the t’s? - Personal responsibility
Don’t forget to cut the ribbon - Making a difference
If you are looking for an opportunity to work with a collaborative, hard-working and dedicated team of professionals and have fun, then this could be the right opportunity for you.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Responsible for supervising the activities of a materials laboratory (testing includes materials such as soils, aggregates, concrete, and asphalt). This includes ensuring that the laboratory testing services are conducted in a safe manner in accordance with McIntosh Perry’s Health and Safety policy and consistent with quality protocols dictated by CCIL, Alberta Transportation, and industry standards. The Assistant Laboratory Supervisor shall efficiently collaborate with the Laboratory Supervisor to meet project requirements in a timely and cost-effective manner.
As a member of our Geotechnical and Engineering Services Team, under the direction of the Lab Supervisor, your duties will include, but are not limited to:
- Assisting Laboratory Supervisor in maintaining the laboratory in appropriate working condition.
- Performs construction and geotechnical related laboratory and field testing as required;
- Supervise the day-to-day operations of the Soils, Aggregate, Concrete and Asphalt laboratory;
- Supervise the day-to-day site Inspection operations;
- Ensures that laboratory personnel are properly trained, supervised and equipped with the necessary tools and equipment to ensure their personal safety in the laboratory and on job sites;
- Monitors laboratory activities to ensure that the work is executed on time and in accordance with the client and project requirements and within company policies, procedures and standards;
- Supervises the efficient utilization of facilities and equipment assigned to them and makes requests for additional equipment and facilities as needed;
- Oversees calibration and maintenance of the laboratory equipment;
- Ensures the proper organization and appearance of the laboratory area for which he/she is responsible, including keeping the area and equipment clean and uncluttered;
- Assist with lab safety, CCIL certifications, preparation for lab audits, maintaining quality control and ensuring timely execution of lab and field tests;
- Assist Manager with the Quality Management System (QMS) to ensure that health and safety documents, laboratory protocols, calibration certificates, staff training certificates and any other documents needed for lab operation are in place and maintained up to date;
- Preparation and distribution of reports, and liaison with McIntosh Perry’s geotechnical staff and clients
- Ensures that laboratory personnel follow company administrative policies such as time-sheet submission, expense reports, time-off request and etc.;
- Maintaining a safe working environment by complying with all safety codes, guidelines, and regulations as indicated by the Health and Safety Officer; and
- Participating in all assigned Health and Safety training programs.
- Diploma in Civil Technology or related discipline; considered an asset; Secondary School diploma or equivalent combined with relevant experience will also be considered;
- Minimum 5 years’ relevant experience performing field and/or laboratory tests on construction and geotechnical materials;
- Relevant CCIL certifications for Aggregate, Concrete, and Asphalt testing as well as Radiation Safety & TDG certificate;
- Experience with Alberta Transportation testing protocols;
- Excellent organization skills and ability to multi-task; in addition to making quick decisions requiring sound judgment and experience;
- Proficient in the Microsoft Office Suite i.e. Excel, Word, and Outlook;
- Excellent interpersonal skills and an ability to work effectively with others;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills;
- Possess a valid driver’s license and have access to a vehicle that has valid registration and insurance;
- Ability to lift a maximum of 50 pounds unassisted; and
- Ability to travel throughout Alberta as required.
McIntosh Perry is an equal opportunities employer offering a competitive salary and benefits to those with the skills suited to the needs of our clients.
McIntosh Perry welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.